A short summary of the content
Module Assignments for Human Resources Management for Health
There are two assignments for this module. Please make contact with your lecturer should you have any queries.
Assignment 1: Reflecting on the role of the manager (40 marks) (2000 words)
Write a reflective essay of about 2000 words on your role as a manager.
In your essay, reflect on the role of a manager using the criteria listed in (1) below. Your essay should also reflect a wide range of reading, as described in (2) below.
If you are a manager, use this assignment to reflect on your own role. If you are not a manager, reflect on the role of another manager you know well in her or his professional role.
1) The essay should cover the following topics:
a. Your strengths and weaknesses as a manager.
b. How you manage yourself.
c. How you manage people.
d. The role of being a leader – for your colleagues and within the organization.
e. How the quality of management impacts on your organization’s functioning.
Your essay should give a brief description of your work context, so that the reader can understand the described managerial role.
2) In writing the essay, you should make use of the literature covering these topics in the module. You should also find at least three additional readings which talk to any of these topics. Please ensure that you reference the literature consistently and correctly. Please refer to the SOPH Academic Handbook for assistance with referencing.
The assessment criteria are listed below.
The essay reflects on the role of the manager with insight and understanding and draws on different aspects of the module.
|Relevant literature has been consulted and used.
|The literature is referenced consistently and correctly.||
The essay is clearly structured and argued and shows no major language errors
Assignment 2: Staff Supervision (60 marks) (2000 – 3000 words)
- Family Planning Manager’s Toolkit (1998), Supervising and supporting your staff (erc.msh.org)
- Describe your organisation’s supervision system.
- Discuss to what extent the principles and
- practices of good supervision described in the text, are followed in your own organisation.
- Write a critique of your organisation’s supervisory system. Use these considerations and any others to develop your argument – drawing on appropriate literature in the reader, and an additional three relevant readings from different sources. Make sure that all literature is correctly referenced.
- End with a set of appropriate and realistic recommendations you would like to make to your organisation to improve their supervisory system. If appropriate, present these suggestions in your organisation.
NB! In this assignment you will not be given marks for referencing. However, an assignment with serious and frequent referencing errors will not be passed.
|The essay reflects on the role of the manager with insight and understanding and draws on different aspects of the module.||14|
|Relevant literature has been consulted and used.||10|
|The literature is referenced consistently and correctly.||8|
|The essay is clearly structured and argued and shows no major language errors||8|